Fɛ vs "fɛyin" [fɛ yen] (with vs location)

Thanks for having underlined the ambiguity between (by expressing love) and (in the context of location) as you say in Basic Bambara 21.

But I have a preoccupation: I’ve the feeling that is a quite different from fɛyin (chez in French). For example N taara Adama fɛ and N taara Adama fɛyin are very different.

How can you explain this difference? I’m looking forward your explanation :blush:.

2 Likes

Hi Mahamadou! Thanks for posting in the Forum after asking this question on YouTube :slight_smile:

I think that what actually you are hearing as fɛyin is in fact the two words fɛ yen (lit. ‘chez there’).

This truncation of yan/yen is really frequent. Think of sentences like the following where one hardly hears the it:

N bɛ yan!
[N bɛ y]

‘I am here’

Does that explanation of fɛyin seem plausible to you?

If not, maybe you could provide other examples of where you are hearing the difference, since the two in your post above seem to both mean “I went to Adama’s place”. Let us know!

Hi Coleman! I think, what You explained is really plausible. I was so focused on one meaning that I overlooked others. My first example N taara Adama fɛ could also mean “I followed or accompanied Adama” (somewhere). As you explained, we can see in fɛyin, this yen meaning there /là-bas. In some examples like Nne fɛ (for me) /Nne fɛyin (chez moi), Anw fɛ/ anw fɛyin, etc… we can also see the ambiguity. Fɛ+y(en) seems to be therefore more precise and indicate a real external location, but fɛ seems to be more related to the person, I think.
N be I fo tugun i ka jaabili la, dan tɛ foli min na! :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like