Sewa / sewa dɔnkili

Specifically I’m wondering if “Sewa Donkili” would properly translate to “Happy Music” or “Joyous Music?” Or would something like “Sewa ni Donkili” make more sense?

1 Like

I ni ke, @mainderay ! Thanks for posting.

The noun “sewadɔnkili” can easily and naturally be used or created. It’s a compound noun technically which is why it could arguably be written together or with a hyphen: sewa-dɔnkili.

But the word sewa is not functioning as an adjective here, but rather a compound noun of two nouns:

sewa-dɔnkili

Lit. “joy-song”

Out of context, I would think of this as meaning something like “(a) song of joy” in English.

“Dɔnkili” can be tough for capturing the sense of “music” since it is literally means “call to dance” and often seems to refer to specific tunes or types of songs with singing instead of “music” in the broader sense of singing and instrumentals.

Super helpful and very good explanation. I’m naming an organization and I’m thinking I’m going to use Malinkish and call it “Sewa Music.”

On another note your explanation made me realize when I see many compound names or words that it does make sense they are munged together, rather than separate. I have much to learn. I should be signing up soon. I ni ke Coleman!

1 Like