Praise for dissertation regarding tone and N'ko

Continuing the discussion from Tonal marks in dictionaries:

I ni ce, @malikdiallo!

Thanks so much for your kind words about my dissertation. It really means a lot to me to think that it could both help you better understand the tonal system of Manding and appreciate N’ko.

I had thought about sending it to you in reference to your original post, but it seemed that the dictionary’s intro was a good a place to start and then I’d see if you had further questions.

Was there a particular part of the dissertation that you found helpful for understanding tone?

Ala k’an to ɲɔgɔn ye!

1 Like

Hey Coleman,

yeah the dictionary’s intro was a good a place to start because it allowed me to understand some of the basics when it comes to tone in Manding. I also really appreciated the sentence examples in blue throughout the dictionary because it allowed me to check and see the different rules in use such as definite versus indefinite, as well as citation form.

A few things that I learned or found helpful:

• the tones of a word can stay even when taken out, like in sàn ǎ sàn → sǎnsàn because I noticed this while in Bamako

• very clear explanations about the tonal diacritics in Manding/N’ko. Other sources online seem to get them wrong or are not complete…

• an extensive overview of the differences in different dialects of Manding

• tone changes when compacting words

• natural phenomenon of tones rising to neutral sometimes…, something that makes so much sense

• the idea of keeping loanwords that have not been phonologically assimilated into Manding written in their original way

I have only a few questions, like whether tone changes when there are suffixes and prefixes on words like how the Bamadaba dictionary says. Also do some suffixes and prefixes not carry tone?

I really appreciate your work, thanks

1 Like

I ni ce, Malik! Thanks for explaining what was helpful :slight_smile:

Gives me ideas for future teaching videos or the like.

As for your remaining questions, you can post them in #language:bambara-jula-english or the more general #language. Please remember to do “One question per topic/thread”, so that your questions and any answers can become references for others!

N b’i fo!

1 Like