O ye farali jugulu kan

In Oumou Sangaré’s song “Mɔgɔya” (where she sings about her disappointment with humanity these days), there’s a line at 1:10 of the song about what happens when one is good to one’s spouse today.

I am unsure about the second second clause in the sentence:

N’i ɲɛna i furuɲɔgɔn min na, ((o ye farali jugulu kan))

My first guess was that we are looking at fàrali meaning literally ‘adding’ from the verb ka fàra (‘to add [on top of]’), but perhaps it could be the verb ka fára (‘to split’)?

If it is fàrali (‘adding’), then I am wondering if we are looking at something like this:

N’i ɲɛna i furuɲɔgɔn min na, o ye farali jugulu kan

When you are good to your spouse even they’re added to your enemies

Any better interpretations out there than mine?

I’ve gotten potentially diverging opinions outside of the Forum.

@Yisbliss on Twitter says:

Listened to the song, but couldn’t pinpoint this expression. However, it seems to say “that is a divisive (caused by jealousy) language (or saying)”…my 2 cents

This interpretation seems to point to fára (‘split’) and could then make the phrase be something like:

farali-jugulu kan
the talk of divisive enemies

But another Twitter user suggests it might be “fàra” (‘add’).

I asked:

ߏ߬ ߞߘߐ߫ ߞߏ߫ ߣߴߌ ߢߍ߬ ߘߊ߫ ߌ ߝߘߎ߬ߢߐ߲߮ ߠߊ߫ ߸ ߏ߬ ߓߍ߫ ߞߍ߫ ߌ ߖߎ߯ ߘߏ߫ ߘߌ ߓߊ߬؟

Does [what Oumou said] mean that if you are good to your spouse, they become of one your enemies

And @batenaffa confirmed this reading:

ߞߏߛߓߍ߫߹ ߥߟߊ߫ ߊ߬ ߦߴߊ߬ ߝߍ߬ ߞߵߌ ߝߘߎߛߊ߬
Very much so! Or that he/she wants to divorce you.

Guess what!? Koro has FINALLY joined the Forum! :clap:t5::partying_face: I ni se, @Korotimi!! :blush:

Do you have any insight on @coleman’s question above?

1 Like

“O ye farali jukulu kan” can be “she/he/your spouse will betray you” or “… join your enemy group/list” or “… behave like your enemies”

1 Like

I ni ce, Koro!

I think I know the answer to this, but just to be clear: you interpret the verb as being k’à fara (‘to add something’) as in “fara wari kan” (‘Add some to the money’ [when asking someone to pay more for something at the market])?

Yes, at the market dɔ fara wari kan is ‘add more money to what you propose/price’. So “fara x kan” is ‘add to x or join’ in other contexts.

1 Like