Kɔrɔnin/kɔrɔnɛ VS kɔnɔ | bird

A question for Jula speakers from Côte d’Ivoire: do you say “kɔrɔnin” for ‘bird’ instead of kɔnɔ(nin)?

Context

In Baarakètò 2, one hears the main character use the word kɔrɔnɛ or kɔrɔnin for ‘bird’ or some form of bird. I asked people for help with it in this video and the user “you d” was kind enough to chime in…

My parents are Bambara but I was born in Côte d’Ivoire so I speak both Dioula and Bambara. Kɔrɔnew like kɔnɔninw means birds in general.

I responded:

Thanks for weighing in! Interestingly, “kɔrɔnɛ” or similar forms for ‘bird’ are absent from every Jula dictionary that I have checked. They all list “kɔnɔ” (that’s also the form that I knew and learned as Jula speaker in Burkina). Sounds like it might be a regional variant! Very cool!

His response:

I grew up in Korhogo in the north of Côte d’Ivoire that is the way they speak there maybe it is different in other parts of the country. The singular form is Kɔrɔnin (kɔrɔninw)

To which I responded:

Thank you so much for sharing, karamɔgɔ :slight_smile: I spent some time in Kong and I also checked the lexicon for that variety and it’s listed as “kɔnɔ”, so it’s surprising and very interesting that in Korhogo there might be a regional-ism that isn’t different from somewhere so close! That said, it might be more wide-spread than I/we know

1 Like